Fiber Optic Pipeline Monitoring
The Praetorian Fiber Optic Sensing System can be installed on a buried or unburied pipeline and can immediately detect pipeline leakage, ground disturbances, manual and machine excavation, theft, hot tapping, and vehicle movement. The fiber optic pipeline monitoring continually monitors large spans of pipelines, looking for vibration and temperature changes. Once detection occurs, the system alerts the operator or security personnel to the exact location of the disturbance in the pipeline. This type of real-time intelligent monitoring is critical to operating efficiently and protecting valuable assets. As a provider of real-time pipeline leak detection sensing systems, Hawk Fiber Optics can assist you with all your needs.
Principle of Operation
The Praetorian Fiber Optic Sensing System emits a laser pulse down a fiber optic cable to measure vibration and temperature as well as the position of that vibration and temperature. Using a combination of Rayleigh backscatter, Brillouin Backscatter*, and time of flight, Praetorian determines the presence, location, intensity, and frequency of vibrations and temperature changes along an optical fiber in real-time. Rayleigh Backscatter responds to physical vibration imparted on the fiber by disturbances to the application. HAWK's signal analysis software allows the Praetorian System to quickly determine the most likely origin of the vibration and report any erroneous signals to maintenance personnel of potential issues with the pipeline. Brillouin Backscatter* responds to shifts in environmental temperatures and is used to detect the temperature drop associated with the reduction in fluid pressure caused by the leak taking advantage of the Joule-Thomson effect.
- Oil (Crude of refined)
- Gas (any type)
- Mining tailings
- Praetorian can function on applications where either the product is invisible (gas) or the pipeline cannot be visually inspected (buried).
- Immune to the effects of a broken or cut fiber
- Fiber optic sensing detects not only the presence of the leak but also its specific location.
- Self-diagnostics monitor the unitÍs condition and maintain optimum performance
- No maintenance or calibration is required after commissioning
- Monitor up at 10km (6.2 mi) at the same time.
- 24/7 monitoring from a real-time pipeline leak detection sensing system
Dimensions & Specifications
- 4RU 19" Rack Enclosure (190x600x490mm)
- Sensing Element: Fiber Optic Sensing Cable
- Number of Channels: 1 or 2
- Interrogator Operating Temp: 0-40°C (32-104°F)
- Unit Operating Humidity (max): 10-85% @ 40°C Non-Condensing
- Power Supply: 110-240VAC (50-60Hz), 24VDC
Contact Us to Learn More
Our team of experts can answer all your fiber optic pipeline monitoring needs. To request a quote for our real-time pipeline leak detection sensing system or to learn more about other types of products we have to offer such as conveyor health monitoring systems, perimeter security and threat detection, and power cable monitoring, contact us today.
See what our customers are sayingsuccess stories
We are happy and satisfied with professional support provided by Hawk local office and Melbourne Factory, in timely delivery of LDS System and excellent support provided by Hawk Site team during Installation, Testing, Commissioning and Handover of Hawk LDS System. The Hawk LDS is fully operational and is working satisfactorily in line with contract requirements and has been accepted by the Client. We look forward to work with Hawk Measurement Systems for our future projects. Project Engineer, Oil & Gas Industry, UAERead More Success Stories Contact Us